Saturday, January 12, 2008

Power and Corruption in Ugandan Football

The past couple of days I've spent more time than I probably should wondering what to term my latest African charity expense. I've decided that the best politically correct title would be "extra-legal expenses." A harsher but potentially more truthful name would be "bribe money." I've even toyed with putting down the simple generalization "African fee." Whatever you want to call it, I've recently become intimately familiar with the underhandedness that plagues many aspects of society here. In my case it's been my dealings with FUFA, or the Federation of Ugandan Football Associations.

In my humble, inexpert and short-lived experience in the eastern part of this continent I would have to agree with the commonly held opinion that Africa's greatest problem is that of corruption. Not that the West doesn't have its own forms of extortion, bribery and nepotism. The difference is in the details however, and in the form in which such things take place. Perhaps this is my problem: that I am too familiar and comfortable with the formalized routines by which my native society cheats its members. Perhaps it is because I am one of those who more often benefit from this institutionalized unfairness that I have less of a problem with it. Still, I can't help but find the more informal, in-your-face underhandedness in this part of the world annoying and troublesome.

Its not hard for me to imagine that many African countries are run somewhat like FUFA. The organization is populated by people that own or represent teams that fall under FUFA's jurisdiction, creating conflicts of interest that are impossible to ignore. It's hard to believe that the bureaucracy of the organization hasn’t been created for any reason aside from making money for a select few in positions of power. My induction into the legalities of the league confirmed this observation, as rule upon rule, real or imagined (I'm not sure as I have yet to receive a copy of the legal guidelines, despite several requests), has served no identifiable purpose other than creating more red tape, which a pay-off can often and conveniently resolve.

My dealings with FUFA officials have sharpened the unfortunate conclusion I have begun to make about the influence of people like me on African societies: I can only hope to leave this place no worse than I found it. As my time here carries on, I wonder more and more whether the impact I have on this society is or can ever be a positive one. The case and point of this is the example of bribery. In order to accomplish our goals here we inevitably run into situations where our complicity in bribery makes us accomplice to the engine that tears at the fabric of civil society. Refusing to participate in it results in the progress towards whatever your goal is grinding to a halt. Ok its a cynical, pessimistic conclusion, but I believe it actually helps me to prioritize my goals here. It's not meant to absolve myself from my ethical principles, but rather humble myself before a society devastated by colonialist theories of "improvement" and "progress." I shouldn't kid myself about altruistic motives; in the end, no matter how generous my actions are, I can't avoid the selfish reasons behind them. It's not a zero-sum game, we both can benefit, but missionary zeal is what I'd like to avoid.

4 comments:

Gliderbison said...

Great post! Who did you bribe? and to do what? I'm so curious!

So you don't have malaria, right? are you still sick?

INDIA.ARI said...

looks like you, sam and i are creating a comment-triangle. god bless us.

just wanted to chime in with best wishes for overcoming ambiguous sickness and remind you to bargain hard, even in the case of bribery and extortion.

i've had similar realizations about my effect on india and my motivations for feeling like i
should have an effect.

Anonymous said...

also i met a guy named david, i think, in goa (we slept next to each other for three nights, one night he got very sick, it was very intimate) who's living in kampala. he's from nor cal, doing some social work now or something. he didn't seem to know you, but mentioned expat trivia night at some bar. he was kind of nerdy, you might like him.

clalexander said...

To answer Sam and all those with the same questions:

We bought a space in the First Division from another team who had qualified but could not meet the financial demands of the season. However, the details about this team remain foggy and suspect. There is a strong likelyhood that either the team was fabricated by FUFA officials, or that the team officials and FUFA officials that we dealt with worked together to extort money from us.

I still have no idea whether or not I got malaria, but I've continued to take my anti-malarials and feel normal again.